Monday, August 22, 2005
The Maid
Was on my way to the train station this evening when something made me recall the movie I caught on Saturday- THE MAID by local film-maker Kelvin Tong.. That something was the sidewalk I was walking towards.. The vivid picture of the many uncles and aunties squatting by the sidewalk and making their offerings to the hungry ghosts the past few days was still fresh in my mind.. Anyway.. Rosa Dimaano, the maid played by Alessandra De Rossi started to see spirits after she unwittingly swept the kim zua (joss paper) offerings made by her employer off the sidewalk.. Pity her.. At the same time, my heart goes out to the hundreds and perhaps thousands of road sweepers who keep Singapore clean and green.. Pity them.. Especially during the Seventh Month..




on top of the world